To add to my christmas cooking…I made these cute little almond pears. They are so much fun and delicious.
Another plus is they are gluten free. You need a little patience to mould the pear shape and then adding the little clove in the top and they are ready. You can eat the whole thing at once, there is no need to avoid the clove.
They look great packaged up for presents. I used some of those Kikki K boxes but you can choose what ever you like.
- 3 cups almond meal (ground almonds)
- 2 cups pure icing sugar, sifted
- 2 eggwhites
- 1 large orange, rind finely grated
- 1/4 teaspoon almond essence
- 24 cloves
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line 2 flat baking trays with baking paper.
- Combine almond meal and 11/2 cup icing sugar in a bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add egg whites, orange rind and almond essence. Using your hands, mix until dough comes together in a smooth ball. Roll walnut-sized pieces of mixture into 24 small pear shapes. Insert 1 clove (stem side up) into top of each pear.
- Place almond pears upright, 5cm apart, on prepared trays. Bake, 1 tray at a time, on lowest shelf in oven for 20 minutes or until firm to touch. Place remaining 1/2 cup icing sugar in a deep, small bowl. Dip hot almond pears, 1 at a time, into icing sugar and turn to coat. Return almond pears to warm tray. Dust heavily with remaining icing sugar. Allow to cool on trays.
- Place almond pears in small paper cases before packing in a gift box.