This is a lovely dessert for a Winter dinner party. It can be served warm or at room temperature. I have used creme fraiche on mine however ice cream or cream is great too. I love a warm desert with cold cream or ice cream, it is so indulgent and then there is the syrup to add the tang. Another great thing about this recipe is it is a gluten free.
Sometimes I make a big cake but this time I put them in cup cake papers and then turned them out. I am very pleased with the look and the taste is very moist and delicious. Of course I had to taste one to make sure it was up to standard!
- 3 large navel oranges, (choose oranges with unblemished skins as the whole fruit is used in this recipe)
- 1 lemon
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups (250g) brown sugar
- 2 cups (250g) ground almonds
- 1/2 cup of gluten free flour
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder*
- 4 star anise to put in the water when boiling the fruit
- 4 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of flaked almonds
- Pure icing sugar to serve
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Have cup cake papers ready for the mixture or line a 28 cm cake tine with grease proof paper and grease the sides.
- Place the three whole oranges, a lemon and 4 star anise in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer, covered, for 1 hour, ensuring that the oranges and lemons remain covered with water. Drain and cool. Chop the oranges and lemons into quarters, discard any seeds and the star anise, then place the chunks into a blender and puree until smooth.
- Beat the eggs with the sugar until thick, then add the orange and lemon puree, ground almonds, gluten free flour, cinnamon and baking powder and mix well. Sprinkle flaked almonds on top
- Pour into cupcake papers or prepared pan and bake for 1 hour. Leave the cake to firm up in the pan or papers for 20 minutes then turn out, remove the baking paper and turn over to finish cooling right way up. This cake definitely mellows with a little time and can be prepared up to 48 hours in advance.
- To serve, sift icing sugar on top and decorate with orange syrup with candied orange and creme fraiche
- To make syrup
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the 1/2 cup of orange juice, 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup water. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for 6-7minutes or until thickened to a syrupy consistency.I hope you enjoy this lovely cake as much as I did.
Share on Facebook