I was inspired by Gourmet Traveller’s latest issue which has a whole section on Rhubarb. I love the tangy taste of Rhubarb mixed with the creaminess of creme fraiche. I had never heard of a cake called a Buckle before. The Buckle originates from America. It is a dense fruit studded cake with a crunchy crumbling top. I have added the extra crunch of roasted candied walnuts on top. I have changed the recipe from the one in Gourmet Traveller slightly as I did not have all the ingredients on the day. I found the rhubarb and strawberry buckle delicious on a cold winter’s evening and enjoyed serving it to friends.
Recipe for Rhubarb and Strawberry Buckle
- 160 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar
- 2 large free range eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of hazelnut meal
- 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tsp each of ginger and cinnamon
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 250 g fresh strawberries chopped coarsely
- 250 g fresh rhubarb chopped coarsely
- For the walnut topping
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter
- coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and line one round spring form tin.
- For walnuts topping, combine the ingredients in a bowl and mix then freeze until time to bake.
- Combine rhubarb and strawberries in a bowl and sprinkle some sugar over and set aside.
- Cream 160 grams of the butter with the white sugar and brown sugar until light and creamy, beat in the eggs one at a time. Add the baking powder bicarb and the salt. Stir in the 2 cups of flour one cup at a time alternating with the yogurt then stir in the hazelnut meal. Stir in one third of the rhubarb strawberry mixture, Spread batter into the prepared pan. Arrange fruit over top of batter. Sprinkle topping over fruit.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the cake is top is puffed and nicely browned. Allow cake to cool. You can serve with creme fraiche and fresh strawberries and garnish with the roasted candied walnuts from an earlier post on Everydaycook.