As it is now Spring in Australia, my baking is turning to things that are a bit lighter and zestier (if there is such a word). I baked this cake for a great book shop that has opened in James Street, Fortitude Valley. It is called Scrumptious Reads. This gorgeous place specializes in books about cooking and food. There are also lots of great things to buy, quirky things for the kitchen and cards. You must pop along. Also as the James Street Food and Lifestyle Festival is on from the 15th until the 20th of October, Scrumptious Reads is hosting some events and if you go to the link above you will see them. This Sunday, May King is sharing her knowledge with us about Tea and there will be baked goodies from my kitchen for you to indulge in. One will be this luscious Lemon Almond and Yoghurt cake. It’s gluten free too!
Here is the recipe so you can try it at home.
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup thick vanilla yoghurt
1 cup caster (superfine) sugar
1 cups self-raising gluten free flour
2 cups of almond meal
¾ cup icing sugar (Pure icing sugar is always gluten free. With icing sugar mixture you need to check the ingredients)
¼ cup lemon juice
1/4 cup of flaked almonds toasted for decoration
- Preheat oven to 180°C .
- Place the melted butter, eggs, rind, lemon juice, yoghurt and sugar in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Sift over the gluten free flour and almond meal and stir until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a greased loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- While the cake is still hot remove from the tin and place on a plate.
- To make the lemon frosting, gently stir together the sugar and lemon juice.
- Spoon over the cake and allow to set. Serve warm or store in the fridge for the next day.
Share on Facebook