The first time I saw a Red Velvet Cake was in the film “Steel Magnolias“. Do you remember? It was the scene where Julia Robertson’s character is at her wedding and there is an Armadillo Cake with a red interior. Well that is the same recipe. I also will tell you that I cried in that movie more than I have ever cried in any movie! The recipe originates from Texas in the United States of America. It is especially famous for being served at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York.
This cake was ordered as a birthday cake for a dear friend of mine and it is always a pleasure to bake for people that are part of your life and great friends. It was my first attempt at a Red Velvet Cake.
- 300g (2 cups) plain flour
- 30g (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 315g (1 1/2 cups) caster sugar
- 250ml (1 cup) buttermilk
- 200g unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 tbs white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp red food colouring (I use beetroot powder instead of colouring)
- 2 x 250g pkts cream cheese, at room temperature
- 300g (2 cups) icing sugar
- 120g butter, extra, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla essence